Are you thinking of going into the world of camping? There is an entry-level RV that is just right for this purpose. In this Airstream Caravel review, I’ll list all its specs and features to help you determine if it is the right camper for you.
The Airstream Caravel is a lightweight and compact travel trailer designed for first-time buyers of camper trailers. It is a model lineup of RVs that consists of four different floorplans. Each of these floorplans comes with all the residential comforts you will need while living outdoors. Any of these floorplans can accommodate four persons.
The Airstream Caravel is also the most classic recreational vehicle in the market today. Some even claim that Airstream is a household name because even non-RVers know what this brand means.
Read on to learn more about the Airstream Caravel, its specs and features, and everything you need to know to determine if it is exactly the RV that you need.
About the Airstream Caravel
If you are looking for the most classic RVs in the market, you need to consider the Airstream Caravel. It is made by a well-known brand and designed for well-heeled first-time buyers of travel trailers. While it is a compact RV, it is still equipped with all the residential comforts you will find in a home.
There are four floorplans in this model lineup of the Airstream Caravel:
Their lengths range from 16 to 22 plus feet. The floorplans of these variants are different from each other. But all of them can sleep, 4 persons.
Airstream is a well-known brand and is practically a household name when it comes to RVs. They are generally characterized as shiny travel trailers because of their signature aluminum bodies. These campers easily stand out from a crowd of RVs. They are also solid and durable.
Airstream has been active in the RV building industry since 1956. So, they are a well-trusted name in this industry. They focus on manufacturing lightweight but functional RVs that people can take on in any adventure.
The company was founded by Wally Byam, whose first love is the sea. His adventures onboard inspired him to build his own brand of recreational vehicles on land. The Caravel brand was taken from the early sailing ships of Europe, which were used to sail windward.
An Airstream Caravel camper possesses the ideal balance between the comforts of home and the spontaneity of outdoor adventures. Every Caravel trailer comes with features that make every outdoor trip unforgettable.
Key Features of the Airstream Caravel
Let’s take a look at some of the Airstream Caravel’s key features that make it worth considering. This RV has a long list of features that we can’t possibly discuss in detail. But certainly, you need to know the details of some of its best features:
1. All the Creature Comforts You Need
Every Caravel trailer comes with a Quietstream ducted climate control system. This is an electronic thermostat control that can quickly cool the cabin quietly. It even has a heat pump that can pull the air’s ambient heat and use it to warm the interior without causing condensation and without using the furnace. This feature also works in cold weather.
2. Innovative Kitchen
Among the top-quality appliances, you can find in a Caravel is a convection microwave oven. You can roast a whole chicken in this oven. Other appointments in the galley of this trailer are a rectangular stainless kitchen sink, special Moen faucet, and stainless steel stove.
3. Easy to Tow
All the Caravel travel trailers are lightweight and can be easily towed just by any modern SUV. Regardless of the type of your car, you won’t have any problem towing this trailer because of its lightweight and aerodynamic aluminum body, weight distribution, and low center of gravity.
4. Ultraleather Seating
Comfort and luxury are what you will enjoy in a Caravel camper because it comes with superior Ultraleather seating. These seats are very soft and supple yet strong and durable because they are supported by strengthening components.
They will not crack from cold weather conditions because they are made to resist temperature changes. These seats are also pet-friendly, won’t stain or scratch, and are very easy to clean.
5. Large Bathroom
There is a large and spacious bathroom in the 22FB, the longest variant of the Caravel. It occupies the entire rear of the trailer. The bathrooms of the rest of the variants are also spacious enough. They all have a stand-alone shower, a vanity with storage, and a built-in seat.
6. Panoramic and Custom-Made Front and Rear Windows
Travelling is all about the outdoor sceneries. Here is where the Caravel will give you lots of enjoyment. Every caravel is fitted with its own hand-crafted, panoramic Airstream windows at the front and the back.
These windows are riveted directly onto the trailer frame so they won’t snap out of place even under wind stress. The opening radius of these windows is bigger than normal, allowing more breeze to flow inside the cabin.
Standard Features of the Airstream Caravel
Here now is the long list of all the standard features that come with the Airstream Caravel RVs. They are listed according to their respective sections in the floor plan:
1. Living Room
- LG LED HD TV with Omni Directional Antenna
- JL Stereo with Bluetooth, Surround Sound and Subwoofer
- Blu-RayDVD Player
- Complete Aluminum Interior Walls and Ceiling
- Seamless Vinyl Flooring
- LED Interior Lighting with Dimmer
- Handcrafted Italian Lite-Ply Laminated Cabinetry
- Coat and Key Hooks
- Flatware Organizer
- Quietstream A/C with Heat Pump & Electronic Thermostat
- Aluminum Roller Blinds
- Overhead Storage with Sliding Doors
- Blackout Curtain(s)
- Roof Vent/Fan
- Fantastic Fan with Thermostat and Automatic Rain Sensor
- LED HD TV (Shared with Lounge)
- Bed Size 48” x 78” (for 16RB, 19CB, and 20FB); 54” x 80” for (22FB)
- Pillow Top Memory Foam Mattress
- Sleeping Pillows
- Decorative Throw Pillows
- Quilted Bedspread
- Overhead Storage with Sliding Doors
- Under Bed Storage
- Reading LED Lights
- Wardrobe with Hanging Bar
- Stainless Steel Sink
- Moen Faucet
- Laminate Galley Top
- 2 Burner Gas Cooktop (for 16RB and 19CB); 3 Burner Gas Cooktop (for 20FB and 22FB)
- Ultraleather Dinette Cushions
- Laminate Dinette Top
- Baraldi Cooking Vent with Light
- Dinette Converts to sleeping accommodations and a lounge
- Removable Hand Held Shower Head with Shut Off
- Retractable Clothes Line in Shower
- Towel Bar/Ring
- Airstream Logo Entrance Mat
5. Additional Interior Features
- Panoramic Front Windows with Blackout Shades
- EcoBatt Insulation
- LP, Carbon Monoxide and Smoke and Detectors
- Fire Extinguisher
- Built In Winterization Kit
- 1000W Pure Sine Inverter
- Internally Routed A/C Condensation Drain Line to Wheel Well
- Probeless Tank Monitoring System
- Electric/LP Water Heater (6 gal.; 9 gal. production)
- 3 Year 24/7 Coach-Net Roadside Assistance
- 3 Year Airstream Limited Warranty (Transferable)
- TRA Certified Green: Emerald Status (Highest Rating)
- Aluminum Exterior, Fluorocarbon Treated UV Protected
- Aluminum Superstructure, Semi-Monocoque
- Hand Painted Chassis
- Thermal Barrier Protection Between Interior & Exterior
- One Piece White Aluminum Roof, Temperature Reducing
- Enclosed and Heated Underbelly, Aluminum Insulated
- Aluminum Entry Door Handle
- 26 in. Wide Entry Door with Window, Custom Aluminum Handcrafted
- Door Hinges, Cast Aluminum
- Unique Front Door Key with Heavy Duty Deadbolt
- Entry Step, Thule Aluminum
- Tempered Tinted Windows with Double Cam Latching System
- Handcrafted Welded Extruded Aluminum Window Frames
- Polished Bumper with Storage
- Aluminum Removable LP Cover
- Stainless Steel Front Stone Guard Protection
- Solar Front Window Protection
- Solar Pre-wire (3 Rooftop and 1 Front Access Points)
- Patio Awning Light, LED Dimmable
- Manual Zip Dee Patio Awning with Sunbrella Fabric
- City Water Inlet with Water Pressure Regulator
- Exterior Shower with Hot and Cold Water
- Lockable Fresh Water Tank Inlet
- Black Tank Flush System
- Dedicated Waste Hose Storage
- Torsion Axle Suspension
- 4 Manual Heavy Duty Stabilizer Jacks
- Powered Hitch Jack with Light
- Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 Tires, Balanced
- Stylized Aluminum Wheels
- Shock Absorber
- Nev-R-Adjust Brakes
- Nev-R-Lube Sealed Bearings
- Spare Tire – Full Size
- LP (2 units – 20 lb. Steel Tanks) with Auto 2-stage Regulator
- Exterior LP Low Pressure Gas Grill Connection
- Cable TV Hookup
- Rear View Monitoring System
- 2 Deep Cycle Group 24 Battery with Multi-Stage Converter
- LED Storage Compartment Light
- LED Tank Service Light
- LED Entrance Light
- License Plate Bracket with LED Light
- Cast Aluminum LED Tail Lights
Again, what does the Airstream Caravel offer? First-time buyers of camper trailers would find the lightweight and compact Airstream Caravel lovely. Additionally, this model lineup of RVs is available in four unique floorplans with all the amenities you need. Plus, it can accommodate four people.
Key Specs of the Airstream Caravel
If you are short of time and need to know if a vehicle can satisfy your needs, you must see its key specs. Here are the essential specs of the 16RB, one of the floorplans of the Airstream Caravel 2020 model:
- Trailer Type – bumper-pull caravan, single axle
- Chassis – torsion beam suspension type; drum brakes with trailer brake controller integrated
- Length – 16 feet and 5 inches
- Width – 8 feet (exterior); 7 feet and 7 inches (interior)
- Height – 9 feet and 7 inches
- Weight – 3,500 pounds (approx.)
- Payload Capacity – 800 pounds (max.)
- Fresh Water Tank Capacity – 23 gallons
- Black Water Tank Capacity – 28 gallons
- No Gray Water Tank
- Sleeping Capacity – 4 persons
Technical Specs of the Airstream Caravel
Here is a table that will show the technical specs of all four variants of the Airstream Caravel RV:
|Length||16 feet 5 inches||19 feet 5 inches||21 feet||22 feet 2 inches|
|Width interior||7 feet 7 inches||7 feet 7 inches||7 feet 7 inches||7 feet 7 inches|
|Width exterior||8 feet||8 feet||8 feet||8 feet|
|Height interior||6 feet 7 inches||6 feet 7 inches||6 feet 7 inches||6 feet 7 inches|
|Height exterior||9 feet 7 inches||9 feet 7 inches||9 feet 7 inches||9 feet 7 inches|
|Net Carrying Capacity pounds||800||1,000||700||800|
|Unit Base Weight, pounds||3,500||4,000||4,300||4,200|
|Hitch Weight, pounds||490||550||565||525|
|Fresh Water Tank, gallons||23||23||23||23|
|Black Water Tank, gallons||30 (Combined)||18||18||17|
|Gray Water Tank, gallons||0||29||30||30|
|Master Bed, inches||48 x 78||48 x 76||48 x 78||54 x 80|
|Sleeping Cap.||Maximum of 4||Maximum of 4||Maximum of 4||Maximum of 4|
|Int. Windows and Skylights||10||11||11||9|
|Dinette, inches||40 x 91||40 x 91||40 x 76||38 x 75|
|Ducted Furnace (BTU)||12,000||16,000||18,000||18,000|
|Refrigerator (12v Electric)||3.1 cubic feet||4.3 cubic feet||4.3 cubic feet||4.3 cubic feet|
Conclusion: Airstream Caravel
If you are looking to buy your first travel trailer, you need to consider the Airstream Caravel. It is an entry-level model lineup of travel trailers that consists of four different floorplans. This model lineup of travel trailers is made by Airstream, a reputable manufacturer of RVs.
While they are designed for first-time buyers, they are all come with residential amenities that will make your camping trips comfortable and convenient. Each of these floorplans can accommodate 4 sleepers. If you want residential comfort in your outdoor adventures, Caravel is what you need.
We created RVcrown.com in 2020 as a way to geek about everything we’ve learned and are still learning about RVs. You’ll find in-depth articles covering reviews, specs, and features of the top RVs in the market. Contact me. Disclaimer: The information and advice provided in this blog are for educational and informational purposes only. The author does not guarantee any particular result or outcome from following the advice provided. See more about us.